Takoyaki, funnel cake, and everything in between: fair food in Michigan and festival food in Shiga differ in quite a number of ways. But we want to definitively answer the entirely subjective question: which of these foods is the best?
To scientifically deduce the 100% completely accurate answer, we determined there was only one way to get this figured out: tournament!
[challonge url="https://challonge.com/jcmufestivalfoodwars" theme="2" show_final_results="1" width="100%" height="300px"]
For the bracket, we seeded 8 Michigan fair foods against each other on one side and 8 Shiga fair foods on the other side. The winner of each group will face off against each other in the championship battle to crown the undeniable caloric winner.
The tournament bracket [link to Challonge], along with match-up previews, will be updated as time goes on. Voting will take place both on this page and on our Facebook and Twitter pages. May the best food win!
Yakisoba has bested elephant ear to reign as the ultimate festival food! Thanks for helping us reach this scientifically definitive solution, and may celebratory yakisoba be in all of our futures~
(Winners in bold)
Grand Festival Food Finals
(2) Elephant ear vs (4) Yakisoba
(1) Corn dog vs (2) Elephant ear
(4) Yakisoba vs (6) Okonomiyaki
(1) Corn dog vs (4) Cotton candy
(2) Elephant ear vs (6) Soft pretzel
(1) Karaage vs (4) Yakisoba
(2) Taiyaki vs (6) Okonomiyaki
(1) Corn dog vs (8) Hot dog
(2) Elephant ear vs (7) Funnel cake
(3) Kettle corn vs (6) Soft pretzel
(4) Cotton candy vs (5) Candy apple
(1) Karaage vs (8) Yaki toumorokoshi
(2) Taiyaki vs (7) Yakitori
(3) Takoyaki vs (6) Okonomiyaki
(4) Yakisoba vs (5) Kakigoori